Girls On The RunGirls on the Run is a weekly after school program. The curriculum attempts to help each girl break out of the "girl box" and stay true to her REAL self. The nationally acclaimed curriculum uses running and games to help girls respect themselves and live healthy and balanced lives. The program culminates in a girls on the Run 5K Community Celebration run. The registration fee is $60 but scholarships are available.
Each participant receives:
- a new pair of New Balance running shoes
- a Girls on the Run T-shirt and 5K event shirt
- relationships with positive adult role models
- 20 after school sessions including health snacks
- increased self-esteem and self-worth
- enhanced emotional and physical health
- all program supplies and curriculum
- improved peer relationships
- a new connection to the community
- a research based curriculum presented by trained facilitators
- a Girls on the Run Medal at the 5K Community Celebration
- new friendships that last a lifetime
Volunteer Coaches: Two or more coaches are assigned to each site. coaches are given detailed lesson plans and all necessary program materials. COACHES DO NOT HAVE TO BE RUNNERS THEMSELVES; the only requirement is enthusiasm and a commitment to the healthy development of young girls. Teams meet twice a week for 90 minutes after school...a small commitment for an extremely rewarding experience. Coaches must attend a fun three-hour training in February and become First Aid and CPR certified (the classes are free).